Why do so many Christians struggle with memorizing Scripture? Every year I’m determined to improve and memorize more Bible verses but for some reason, I miss my goal. Can you relate? Are you and I too busy or too distracted? Could it be we’ve failed so many times and just give up? What makes memorizing so difficult?
Do you truly want to memorize scripture? You can!In today’s post, I’m sharing why memorizing Scripture matters and how to get started. You will discover 12 reasons why memorizing Scripture matters and tips on how to make it happen. Click To Tweet
I’m not great at all of this, but after digging into Bible Study and talking things through with my mentor, I created a plan. I discovered 12 reasons why memorizing Scripture matters and tips on how to make it happen.
Let’s get started.
Why Memorizing Scripture Matters
- Reminds you of the Truth of God’s Word – John 8:32 and John 14:6
- Gives you Strength, Courage, and Comfort – Joshua 1:9
- Prevents you from sinning and the temptation of sin – Psalm 119:11, 1 Cor. 10:13
- The Bible Instructs us to memorize Scripture- Deuteronomy 11:18, Colossians 3:16
- Gives you guidance and wisdom for decision-making- Isaiah 30:21
- Will be your weapon against Spiritual attacks- Eph. 6:13-17, Matthew 4:1-11
- Helps you build your confidence in Christ- Eph. 3:12, Hebrews 4:16
- Increases your faith and obedience- Luke 1:37, Jeremiah 7:23
- Jesus quoted Scripture from 24 books, 180 times as our perfect Role Model
- Renews your mind as you are memorizing scripture- Romans 12:2
- Restores your hope – Jeremiah 29:11, Psalm 71:14
- Gives you peace – John 16:33, Psalm 4:8
I agree with this powerful statement from Pastor and author Chuck Swindoll taken from his article 7 Tips on Memorizing Scripture
An important quote from Church Swindoll, I know of no other single practice in the Christian life more rewarding, practically speaking than memorizing Scripture. Click To Tweet
“I know of no other single practice in the Christian life more rewarding, practically speaking than memorizing Scripture. That’s right. No other single discipline is more useful and rewarding than this. No other single exercise pays greater spiritual dividends!”
Related Post: Memorizing Scripture
How To Get Started Memorizing Scripture
- Start with one single verse
- Write the verse out on index cards or in your notebook and journal (check out this Post: 20+ Bible Journaling Tips for Beginners)
- Say the verse out loud to help you with memorizing Scripture
- Use Apps on your phone or computer – Bible Memory App, Fighter Verses App (check out this Post: 7 Best Bible Study Apps – All Free)
- Write the verse on a Spiral Index Card File (demonstration in the video)
- Find an accountability partner or friend
- Use a Dry Erase Board to write the verse and erase a few words at a time
- Stick up Post-It Notes in special places to help you memorize
- Repeat. Repeat. Say the verse over and over again
- Write the first letter of each word to help remind you of the verse (see video)
- Create hand motions or sign language for keywords of the verse (see demonstration)
- Set the verse to music or find specific Scripture music online to listen to regularly
Related Post: How To Memorize Scripture
Start with a Simple Plan for Memorizing Scripture
To be honest, I learned something about myself this past year. I hate to say this, but I’m a perfectionist. I like to have things in order and completed, so when I don’t measure up to my own pressure, I get easily discouraged. How about you?
Lately, I’ve been learning to let things go and move forward with God. I haven’t arrived yet but I’m not stopping. I’m determined to get back up and keep trying in every area of my life with God.
Will you join me? Let’s make this year the best “growing in my faith” year ever for God’s glory!
Start this week memorizing Scripture with a simple one-sentence verse like Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.” or Philippians 2:14 “Do everything without arguing and complaining.”
I’d love to hear from you. Comment below and I will be praying for you as you begin your new journey with God.
If you enjoyed this, you will love these posts:
How To Be Bold in Christ for 2021
How To Have A Consistent Quiet Time With God
Why Spiritual Direction Is Important For Your Life
To God be the Glory!
Jayme a Spiritual Direction Coach. Mentor, Author, and Podcast Host is passionate about moving Christian Women forward to God’s direction for their life through Scripture and prayer. Join the Spiritual Direction Coaching Today Facebook private page or connect with her on Instagram.
Your Thoughts and Comments Matter! Leave Your Prayer Request.
Join the discussion 4 Comments
Thank you for mentioning my article in your amazing post.
Use Apps on your phone or computer – Bible Memory App, Fighter Verses App (check out this Post: 7 Best Bible Study Apps – All Free)
I really appreciate it.
My joy Brittany. Your website and ministry are exactly what is needed to equip godly women to become the person God created them to be in good and difficult times. I know you are blessing lives for the kingdom. Blessings!